Monday, May 18, 2015

Natural Products Tool Kit Part One

It seems these days, we are all poking into corners and down aisles and through websites just to find products that are not only natural (with no added chemicals, fragrances, or dyes) but also reasonably priced. I have been on a search for natural toiletries, home remedies, and cleaning products since 2010. Here are my finds: 
  • For Sensory Integration Dysfunction (AKA Sensory Processing Disorder), I put in silicone ear plugs (from the pharmacy) when I go into large groups of people. 
  • Sunglasses (from the optometrist) whenever I go into bright, sunny places. 
  • For toiletries, I use Yes to Carrots cleanser and Yes to Coconut shampoo and conditioner (from Target). 
  • I use Aveeno Baby Eczema Cream (from the pharmacy) as a moisturizer that keeps my skin hydrated all day. 
  • I use Nubian Black African body wash (from Vitamin Shoppe). It works great on my toddler, too - no tears, and the silkiest hair you've ever felt. I also use it to make a water-soap mixture to pour over the baby wipes that I cut from flannel receiving blankets. The wipes stay fresh in a wipes container, and the dirty wipes go into another wipes container, to be washed in hot water and reused. 
  • Castile soap bar (from Cracker Barrel's gift store) - a good Christmas present - great for washing hands at the sink.
  • Aquafor by Eucerin (from the pharmacy) for red, rough hands. Feels great - works great. 
  • ACT Toothpaste (from the pharmacy) helps my dry mouth amazingly. It also inspires me to brush teeth three times a day, instead of once. 
  • It seems simple, but I now do not use a brush on my hair. Brushes tend to pull and break the hair. My hair is wavy, and I finally figured out that a comb would do as well and better than a brush. So I don't have as many feathery fluffy pieces on top of my head, trying to grow long again. 
  • Tom's of Maine deodorant (from the pharmacy) is the only brand that leaves out aluminum. Aluminum should not be ingested or absorbed through the skin. It is a metal that should not be part of our bodies' makeup. (This is why it would be good to swap out your Teflon-coated frying pans for stainless steel or ceramic-lined pans, which wash up much more easily than Teflon.) Aluminum is generally supposed to be the only ingredient used as an antiperspirant. However, I've been using Tom's of Maine deodorant for years, and though it does not claim to be an antiperspirant, when I'm wearing it, I almost never sweat . . . and I live in Florida. If you still sweat, then use Arm & Hammer aluminum-free deodorant with added baking soda from Wal-Mart. 
  • For seasonal allergies or sinus headaches, I recommend Ayr Nasal Rinse (from the pharmacy) and Dr. King's Homeopathic Allergy and Hayfever Spray (from Vitamin Shoppe). I spray Dr. King's on my tongue after sneezing. Sometimes it clears up the stuffy nose, scratchy throat, etc. without a hitch. Other times, I have to use it in combo with Ayr Nasal Rinse. To get the right temp for the nasal rinse, I fill it 3/4 full with lukewarm water, and 1/4 full with hot or boiling water from the teakettle. Then I add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and then rinse my nose according to the directions. 
  • We recently had the privilege of having the carpet in our downstairs living room, hallway, and hall closet replaced with quality laminate by Empire Today Flooring at a 50% off discount on parts and labor. My kids don't need Zyrtec anymore! Wow! Thank you, parents / landlords for paying 100%!
  • As far as food allergies go, I have had terrible Irritable Bowel Syndrome for years, and finally linked the symptoms to the meat I have always eaten. I am now a vegetarian, for the sake of my health. I like the freedom of not having to cook meat, which is the most difficult and time-consuming part of cooking. 
  • For better sleep, which to me, seems at the root of my various other symptoms, I have discovered a solution! Tranquil Sleep chewable tablets by Stress-Relax (from Vitamin Shoppe). These tablets contain 5-HTP, Suntheanine, and Melatonin. They get me to sleep on schedule, about an hour after I eat two tablets, and I wake up early and have sustained energy throughout the day. Praise God! 
"WHAT? KNOW YE NOT THAT YOUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY GHOST WHICH IS IN YOU, WHICH YE HAVE OF GOD, AND YE ARE NOT YOUR OWN? FOR YE ARE BOUGHT WITH A PRICE. THEREFORE GLORIFY GOD IN YOUR BODY AND YOUR SPIRIT, WHICH ARE GOD'S."