Saturday, April 12, 2014

Opening Up - Guest Post by Aidan




Favorite quotes from Aidan King:

"In real life, I'm a special child that's just out-of-the-ordinary."

"For some reason, every time I think of something, it becomes real. I notice very much - in my mind, I am free. . . . I can just do anything."

Editor's note: Did you catch that, folks? Here's Aidan, age 12, whoppin' down the fallacy that “Boys and girls with Autism/Asperger's don't use their imaginations.” Hello? 3rd Myth dismantled here.

Aidan actually has spoken one more myth, the 4th Myth, which is what his doctors evidently told him . . . "I have Autism and Asperger's Syndrome - those are the same thing." Um, no. The labels low-functioning and high-functioning are used for a reason. Low-functioning autism is never referred to as Asperger's syndrome, because Hans Asperger never studied or reported on low-functioning autism (that I know of).

One crucial difference is that those with Asperger's have the ability to communicate - and communicate well. That being said, I'd say Aidan is on the high-functioning end of the spectrum, even though he may have been diagnosed as autistic when he was younger. Congratulations on your improvements, Aidan!

Aidan also remarks: "There's one most important thing to me, and that is: friends, family, and my pets." He concludes: "All I know is: I love everything that my parents and life has given me, and I'd do anything to keep going, and fighting."

"MOREOVER IT IS REQUIRED IN STEWARDS, THAT A MAN BE FOUND FAITHFUL."