Monday, May 23, 2022

Compassion: Guest Post by Mark Weaver

 October 7, 2004

Dear Mark,

          You're right, dating is a serious thing, not to be taken lightly.  And love is troublesome, but oh, so worth it.  I really thank God for all the guys I had crushes on, because I learned so much from how they responded to me.  They were all Christians, some more mature than others.  Some of the most encouraging words I ever heard from a guy were, "It's just a friend thing.  It's never going to be anything more than that."  Because I knew he was right, but I needed him to tell me that.  And then he said, "I hope you do find somebody."  Because he knew how much I wanted somebody.  And I said, "Thank you.  Just pray for me, OK?"  I expect he still is praying for me.

          I wonder, Mark,- and you don't need to answer this question - but I wonder, what kind of a woman would it take for you to ask her to marry you?  I feel sad when I think about you with a cold, petting the cats and drinking hot chocolate, with no one to talk to.  But our Heavenly Father knows best.

          In the words of the song, "Unfailing love flows from His heart and heals my soul.  In spite of who I am, He loves and makes me whole.  I almost can't believe it's true - unfailing love - and yet I know, He gave His life to give to me unfailing love."

          Your sister in Christ,

          Sharon Rose

October 7, 2004

Howdy, Sharon Rose!

          What a nice sentiment, that you feel sorry for me aaaallll alone at home.  I really do appreciate it.  I can't really say that I can remember a time when being alone was burdensome, but I can't say that I have ever really been alone, as even when the folks are away for months at a time, I know that they are planning on coming back.  I've always been somewhat of a hermit. 

          I don't think I have any requirements for "the" woman I would consider marrying.  I leave it entirely up to God to show me if and when I should get hitched.  I know for the majority of people, God has a wonderful companionship planned, and there are few greater feelings to me than seeing couples together raising kids and terribly in love.  I have tried to fit the norm and be romantically involved, but have found that that invariably leads to disastrous results.  So I say again that I am just going to try to be aware to where our Lord is leading me and not fight what He has in store. Thanks again for the great compassion you show!

          Your key-pal,

          Mark

"A FRIEND LOVETH AT ALL TIMES."