Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Focused Concentration: Flashback to 2010


Here's a fun story about my interaction with a co-worker who is clearly an Aspie:

I wonder if Rodney & Jenny even realize that I am such close friends with the twins. They have hardly ever seen us interact, though of course they know we spend a lot of time together.

Now when I put away my laptop and got ready to leave, I figured I’d better go say good-bye to Michael. He was glued to the computer. I tapped him vigorously on the shoulder and yelled, “Good-bye!”

“Good-bye,” he murmured, without turning around. “See you Sunday.”

“See you when?” I demanded. “Sunday? Saturday, you mean. The museum.”

“September 4th,” said Michael wearily. I’m sure it dawned on him for the first time that September 4th, the day we’re all going to the Ringling Museum of Art, was this coming Saturday.

Now comes the good part – Rodney said to me, “You’ll have to forgive him. He’s – just –”

“He’s in the zone,” I filled in, nodding. And then I felt bad that I had spoken so sharply – not for Michael’s sake, but for Rodney’s! I can’t fault Michael for acting like himself, but I was surprised how much it hurt that he didn’t look at me to say good-bye. I usually have his full attention every time I open my mouth.

Poor Rodney, though, must have been mortified that Michael and I were rude to each other. What I say is: close friends are allowed to be rude to each other once in a while – especially when tired and stressed!

But if Rodney doesn’t realize how well I know Michael . . . well, I just hope he didn’t give Michael a talking-to. LOL. Especially considering that I called Rodney last month to ask which weekends Michael and Matthew would be free to go to the museum!

"LOVE IS NOT RUDE."